It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:57 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 P9700S, Tuning Tips, "Visualizer" 

Post P9700S, Tuning Tips, "Visualizer"
Circumstances have led me to review the procedure which I've included in P9700S tips/suggestions and sent in emails and have learned is flawed.

I prepared the procedure below after having discovered a better way to get them tuned, but it is opposite and wasn't typed this way. Steve Hobley's idea of turning the scale trim opposite an amount that seems needed, keyed me to the situation. The Scale trim is on an inverting input while the other voltages are to non-inverting inputs.

It is just a matter of using the Pitch control for notes pressed up the keyboard, and the Scale trim for the lowest, 0v key. I had been onto this, but just didn't type it that way. The mention of starting with the trims at about 1:00 which is where they usually result is probably why it hadn't come up before now.

Basically, you do as described below, but here's how it differs: When pressing a key an octave or two higher, ADJUST THE PITCH CONTROL for an octave or two higher from the VCO being controlled with respect to the other VCO (patching them to the VCA L and R inputs allows panning back and forth to hear one or the other or both through the L+R output). Then, press the low key and ADJUST THE SCALE for unison with the other VCO. Go back up an octave or two higher and adjust PITCH for an octave or two higher with the other VCO, and repeat. Two or three passes should get it, and swap the pitch cv over to the other VCO for scale adjust, using the first as the reference.

When you get it just right, you can connect the P9700S to a MIDI-equipped PC Running this program, thank you Steve Hobley, and see that you have it right!

P9700S Tuning "Visualizer"

http://www.stephenhobley.com/blog/2010/ ... isualizer/

sl 03/24/10

Here's a way to get them by ear...

First set the MIDI2CV8 to be outputting 0V for the low key pressed on the controller, by powering the 9700K while holding the low key on the controller so that releasing the key will cause the first message input to the MIDI2CV8 to be a note-off (it interprets this as a signal to output zero volts for this note number). A dvm can now be used to check that octave spaced key presses are outputting a 1v pitch cv change (down to a hundredth of a volt or so) as set by the trim on the MIDI2CV8. The most accurate setting will be obtained if you press octaves that start a few notes above the lowest key, ie if your low key is a C, press D or higher for the lowest octave reading.

The usual tuned setting for the VCO scale trims is about a 1:00 setting for the pointer of there disk which covers a cw range from about 7:00 (ccw) to 5:00 (cw). Start with the trim at 1 o'clock.

After having been powered for a minute or two patch the low-key transposed pitch CV over to the VCOA P2 input. Set the two pitch controls to they're both in-tune at unison at about a mid-rotation setting for the low key pressed on the controller. Play an octave higher and the adjust scaleA for an octave relationship with B. Go back to the low note and adjust the A panel pitch control for unison and then, again, press an octave higher and adjust the scaleA for an ocative relationship with B. After going back and forth like this another time or two, you should find the scale is about as close as it can get. Then, do this all again pressing some note a few keys higher than the lowest key (with VCOB adjusted to match at this new low pitch) and confirm/tweak the scale to match for higher pressed octave relationships with B (using the A panel pitch to realign A with B after adjusting the scale).

When the scaleA adjustment is complete, move the pitch control over to VCOB P2 and make the panel Pitch and scaleB trim adjustments to get unison and octaves with the VCOA pitch (adjusted to match B for the low key pressed and pitch CV sent to it).

After the scaleB is set, move the Pitch CV over to the VCOA P1 input and listen to the two vcos tracking across the keyboard range (again with the low-key transpose asserted) after aligning their pitch while a higher note is pressed, say the third or fourth octave. Confirm they track for a higher octave pressed and hold as you press keys going down towards the low key.

You should be able to turn up the sound of the controller or some other MIDI Sound Module and hear that the tones made from the VCOs can be aligned using the panel pitch controls and follow as you play different ranges on the keyboard (make the alignment between the two when a key pressed in the middle C, A 440 range is pressed--its easier to hear the beating slow as they are tuned).

Thank you.
Sincerely, Scott Lee

ps It helps to keep the VCO Modulation control at minimum so there isn't any possible pw modulation which can make the VCOB pitch change slightly (often, a change of R59 from 91k to 27k prevents this interaction).

Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Post Re: P9700S, Tuning Tips, "Visualizer"
Thanks for this information Tone!

I discovered that Microsoft NETframework 2.0 is required.

First, I tried NETframework 1.0 and had a different (new) error message.

Then I tried the newest NETframework 4.x.x and got a different error message.

So I removed 4.x.x, cleaned the registry, rebooted.

Then, installed NETframework 2.0 and, now, the Visualizer works as it should.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:24 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]