It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:28 pm

Vintage Paia 

Post Vintage Paia
Hello!

I would love to see the Gnome, Stereo Chord EGG, Surf Synthesizer and the OZ kits available again but I already read about the problems with the keyboards, but there are tons of affordable ones out there....
Maybe at least the circuit boards. Any chance?

I built them over 20 years ago but it seems they walked away after I spent years in Italy and in Spain...

I currently have a beautiful Fatman sitting around but what I really enjoy is making noise, not music.

The EGG recordings are fantastic. Is there any way I can download them and put them in my MP3 Player?

Thanks to all.

I have the feeling this is going to be a fantastic forum!

My only complaint is that I have to make an effort to read the topics because of the dark blue color, perhaps a lighter blue would be better (at least for me).

Otherwise, 5 stars!

TRON

Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:20 pm

Post Re: Vintage Paia
Hello Tron.

Yes, those were some good ones, the Gnome, Surf, EGG, and Oz! Keep an eye out on online auctions and the like as this is where these often turn-up.

It is probably more likely for 're-visited' boards to appear than the originals. They're just that old that finding parts for them would be difficult if at all possible.

Check out the P9700S--it could mimic all the above devices, in one unit, and more....

Over in the Composers section there's a an example of a patch with interconnected modulators operating the VCF with the noise source patched through it:

example of PAiA 9730VCF (P9700S)

The VCO could be operated this way too for an approximation of the EGG, or a loop of the EGG file used as the pitched tone.

To get the organ tone of Oz, just patch a square wave to a VCA with instant on and off envelope modulation, or, don't most keyboard instruments have 'organ' presets?

Hmmm...that's the second time I've heard that about the blue. It looks clear on this screen??? I'll see if I can learn of a way this can be user adjusted.

Thanks for writing.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:49 pm

I think most of the appeal, at least for myself, regarding the old Paia kits was the relative simplicity. The 2700 (and even most of the 4700) is so simple to make; you can get a modular synth without the commitment of other kits out there, even the 9700. And due to this simplicity the units have a very interesting and charming sound. It would perhaps be hard to re-make the units exactly as they were, but perhaps using the same philosophy (i dont know if that philosophy was intentional or not) of simple designs and builds coupled with interesting devices I think you would get alot of customers from people just trying to get into DIY electronics. At first look the 9700 and to a degree, the fatman is pretty daunting; but something like a gnome would be considerably less.

I love the old 2/4/8700 modulars, they're quite interesting and would love to see paia making simple synthesis kits again. maybe you should do a test product and see what the market is like? a simple sound maker like the Gakken or Gnome.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:07 pm

I love this thinking. Surely it will get long in the telling, if every time this sentiment is posted I reply with a /long sigh/ and enthusiastic agreement, but mine is more than feigned enthusiasm. Keep tuned.

The EGG recordings are in WMA format, once downloaded they should be recodable/rippable to MP3s. I haven't tried it myself, let me know if there's something about them that prevents the conversion. Our intent is to provide audio content that's easy to use & reuse.

- brad

Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:27 am
Profile WWW

PAiA-Scott wrote:
Hmmm...that's the second time I've heard that about the blue. It looks clear on this screen??? I'll see if I can learn of a way this can be user adjusted.

I think it depends on the calibration of the user's monitor. On my LCD, which I have calibrated to render colours as close as possible to correctly, the blue writing stands out quite clearly, although like all blue light sources, including the blue LEDs that have become so popular, it is difficult for the human eye to focus on due to chromatic aberration (however, the particular blue you're using actually has a lot of red and green in it too, so it's not that bad).

What I have found to be a problem though is when looking at posts after doing a search. In those posts, the search terms are highlighted with a blue background. If one or more of the search terms happens to appear in the post's subject, then the subject becomes invisible, because the blue writing gets a blue background, so you just end up with a solid rectangle.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:11 am
Profile WWW

Hello to all!
This post caught me off guard...
However, I am very interested in the EGG files download... where can I find it?
Thanks and Happy Holidays to you all and best wishes for 2010!

Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:15 am

tronato wrote:
Hello to all!
This post caught me off guard...
However, I am very interested in the EGG files download... where can I find it?
Thanks and Happy Holidays to you all and best wishes for 2010!

They are over in the Composers section.

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:30 pm

I built both a 2700 series and 4700 series in the 70's and I can tell you that the 9700 series blows them away in terms of sound quality.

The 9700 series are complex modules but you get a lot for your money and time. The assembly manuals are great and I have now built two full frac racs full with only a couple of minor mistakes that were easily corrected (LED reversed, transister reversed).

The only downside was that each time when I finished the whole rack, I felt a bit of a let down. I guess getting there is half the fun 8-)

Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:29 pm