It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:19 pm

It works!!! (Fatman) 

Post It works!!! (Fatman)
I have just finished assembling my Fatman and it works! Sounds amazing!

I'd convinced myself about halfway through that I'd screwed up and overheated the ICs or that my soldering skills wouldn't be up to scratch but no... It works and I'm delighted!

A few questions:

1. I followed the tuning instructions and have got it tuned up correctly, but to get 'concert pitch' the pitch control has to be almost all the way counter-clockwise. Also, unison on the offset knob is similarly off-centre. Is this normal? Can things be tuned so that concert pitch and unison are both at 12 O'Clock? Could I have got some of the pots mixed up for this to happen?

2. What is the ADSR modulation pot in the VCA section for? On mine it only seems to function as another volume control.

3. Not a huge problem, but I've noticed that the VCA output is slightly noisy when it's about halfway up, when it's on full the noise disappears. Is this normal and if not, does it indicate a problem somewhere?

Cheers!

Dan

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Post Re: It works!!! (Fatman)
Something else I noticed... When I play with velocity sensitivity on the filter, the filter opens depending on how hard I hit the key, but then seems to close again when I let the key go, as if it's got a release envelope on it, even though the A(S)R knob is down.

It sounds pretty good like that, but is that the correct behaviour?

Cheers

Dan

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 pm

It seems you are so looking forward this result, congratulations!

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:09 pm
Profile WWW

It's normal the pointer's on the control knobs don't have mid-setttings to match concert pitch or unison. It's been a long time ago, but I looked at ways to make these controls more centered and it was something that wasn't so easy to change and likely hinging on the exponential function that's in the pitch CV.

The panel control for ADSR in the VCA section is an amount sent to the VCA. So, it would be like a volume control, with less and less VCA ADSR there would be less and less audio output level. But, with panel controls for ADSR and Velocity, a mix of the two can be set.

The panel control for audio output level is just the full output of the VCA connected to a potentiometer so for less than maximum settings, there is more resistance in the signal path. This is likely contributing to a reduced signal to noise ratio. It's best if you just keep the VCA ADSR and final Output panel controls advanced.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:05 pm

PAiA-Scott wrote:
It's normal the pointer's on the control knobs don't have mid-setttings to match concert pitch or unison. It's been a long time ago, but I looked at ways to make these controls more centered and it was something that wasn't so easy to change and likely hinging on the exponential function that's in the pitch CV.

The panel control for ADSR in the VCA section is an amount sent to the VCA. So, it would be like a volume control, with less and less VCA ADSR there would be less and less audio output level. But, with panel controls for ADSR and Velocity, a mix of the two can be set.

The panel control for audio output level is just the full output of the VCA connected to a potentiometer so for less than maximum settings, there is more resistance in the signal path. This is likely contributing to a reduced signal to noise ratio. It's best if you just keep the VCA ADSR and final Output panel controls advanced.

Cool, thanks Scott!

Is it right that the filter's velocity CV only seems to be applied while the note is pressed, with the filter closing up again during the release part of the sound?

Cheers

Dan

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Yes, Velocity CV will be a voltage for the key down, and then none, for the key up, in most instances as many controllers send a velocity value of zero for the note-off message.

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:33 pm

No problem, sounds cool that way anyway :)

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:47 pm