It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:02 pm

Stuck notes (Fatman) 

Post Stuck notes (Fatman)
Hi,

When playing the fatman through my Saffire Pro 24 DSP MIDI output I keep getting stuck notes. This seems to happen when playing fast repetitive patterns from Seq-303 or the arpeggiator on my Korg Prophecy. One note will stick and play continuously in between all the other notes. Sending an 'all notes off' doesn't do anything, the only way to stop it seems to be to switch the Fatman off and back on again.

It doesn't seem to happen even playing fast arpeggios if I connect the Prophecy directly into the Fatman.

I also noticed that the power adapter I used had an LED on it that lit when it was plugged in that now doesn't light, although it still powers the Fatman. I don't know if this is related or if it's a problem. I did leave it plugged in overnight with the Fatman switched off the other night...

Dan

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:23 am

Post Re: Stuck notes (Fatman)
The on-off switching that occurs for MIDI and represents the series of bits/bytes/messages can get blurred due to cabling, the MIDI I/O circuitry, or an overload of processing required for all the information, or, a combination of borderline conditions contributing to a loss/mis-interpretation of the information.

Try a different cable between the devices.

Inspect the soldering of the associated connectors and parts on FatMan

FatMan only recognizes Note messages and Pitch Wheel messages. Sending other messages to it means there is more pulsing through the MIDI hardware and more time spent processing the information.

Look for ways to limit the transmitted MIDI to Note and Pitch Wheel messages.

The 12vac wall-mounted transformers provided with FatMan don't have an LED. Is there any documentation with the one you are using? If FatMan continues to power-up and function even though the LED on the power source does not light, it might just be a coincidental failure???

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Post Re: Stuck notes (Fatman)
PAiA-Scott wrote:
The on-off switching that occurs for MIDI and represents the series of bits/bytes/messages can get blurred due to cabling, the MIDI I/O circuitry, or an overload of processing required for all the information, or, a combination of borderline conditions contributing to a loss/mis-interpretation of the information.

Try a different cable between the devices.

Inspect the soldering of the associated connectors and parts on FatMan

FatMan only recognizes Note messages and Pitch Wheel messages. Sending other messages to it means there is more pulsing through the MIDI hardware and more time spent processing the information.

Look for ways to limit the transmitted MIDI to Note and Pitch Wheel messages.

The 12vac wall-mounted transformers provided with FatMan don't have an LED. Is there any documentation with the one you are using? If FatMan continues to power-up and function even though the LED on the power source does not light, it might just be a coincidental failure???

OK - it would make sense if it's a bad cable as I don't get the problem connecting a keyboard directly to the Fatman, and I was using another cable for that, I'll try using that cable between the MIDI interface and the Fatman when I get a chance. If that doesn't work I'll try and see if the software or the interface are sending additional MIDI messages. If THAT doesn't work I'll check the soldering, I'm a bit scared to open it all up again in case I mess something up!

The AC adapter I used came from Maplin as I'm in the UK. Apart from the light failing it all still seems to work fine...

Cheers Scott!

Dan

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:16 pm