It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Control inputs for Gnome 

Post Control inputs for Gnome
Hi.
I'm new to this forum.
A friend asked me to add a "gate control" and a "CV control" to his PAiA Gnome.
I am a music tech and know how to solder (if someone may ask!)
But I don't know much about how synthesizers work...
I imagine that adding a cable and a SPDT switch should do the job.
I just don't have a clue where to put and how to control these cables...
So, could anyone tell me how do I do that?

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:26 pm

Post Re: Control inputs for Gnome
The Gnome isn't so accurate that it will play notes for linear, volt/octave or exponential, v/hz pitch control voltage, but it does have a trigger input (the single-conductor Pin or Tip connector on the rear (red or black plastic)).

To trigger the Gnome from an external device, a circuit-common (ground) connection via the mini-phone audio connector, or, an added, second pin jack (socket) wired to either internal wiring terminal strip's center of nine terminals. Positive dc voltage (less than 18v) applied to the external trigger input activates the function generators just as if the pushbutton trigger switch had been pressed

The wiper probe used to tap a voltage from the conductive vinyl controller strip can work as an input for external control voltage for setting the frequency of the VCO or VCF as selected and adjusted by switch and control settings in the Controller section. Again, a ground must be connected from Gnome to the external voltage source as the reference for the applied voltage (<18v).

This pdf guide includes a link to the DIY project article for the Gnome and schematics with DC voltage test-points for trouble-shooting.

http://paia.com/manuals/docs/3740TS.pdf

This Envelope Follower module is a device for deriving trigger and amplitude related control voltage from an audio signal. It can be used to automatically trigger the Gnome, and, if an external audio signal input is added, process the same audio signal through the VCF and VCA sections for auto-wah, attack-delay, etc.

http://www.paia.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9753K

The 9753 Envelope Follower is made for the FR-7 Fractional Rackmount ("FracRak") chassis along with one of the 9771-15 or MIDI2CV8 modules as the power supply.

FatMan is a modern version of Gnome, but with MIDI vs wiper-probe & controller strip control of the basic analog synthesizer elements.

http://www.paia.com/ProdArticles/fatmblock.htm

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 am