It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:56 pm

A cpl questions about 27xx LFO 

Post A cpl questions about 27xx LFO
1. What kind of waveform does this LFO use? Sine or triangle? And if it's a triangle LFO, would I be able to say route the symmetry trimmer to the front and use that to change the triangle to rising/falling ramp?

2. Which components affect the depth and rate of the LFO and what would you suggest to replace those with to get a much faster/slower speed and more depth? And any suggestions on replacing the rotary speed switch with a continuous pot for setting the coarse speed without jumping to predefined values?

3. I have another LFO with some issues - the oscillation often ceases when I switch between speeds, or it barely oscillates, or the oscillation slowly picks up. Am I correct to assume that some capacitors that set the speed are bad and need to be replaced or is there more behind it?

Thanks ahead for your help :D

Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:37 pm

Post Re: A cpl questions about 27xx LFO
The 2720-5 (4750) Control Oscillator / Noise Source kit assembly manual is posted in this area:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=177

Notice the front cover describes the output as sinusoidal. It is such a simple circuit that to add and change for the features you're after, you might as well start anew.

The power supply voltage being the specified 18V is important (within a volt or so) and check to see if the transistors Q1 and Q2 have been replaced with substitutes. If so, the biasing might not be optimized for them -- it might take some resistor changes to get things balanced out right.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:29 pm

I am working on a simple but usefull LFO. I hoipe to have it ready in a week or so (subject to getting my oscillators in tune)

Bill

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:30 pm

There is a simple LFO schematic flying around the web somewhere. If I remember correctly, it puts out a triangle and a squarewave, and it utilizes a quad op-amp and just a handful of rc components. I'll have to look around and find it again. It's very simple and low parts count. I'll post a link to it if I find it again.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:36 pm

Ok, this is not the same circuit I was talking about but this one is even simpler and uses one dual op-amp, 10 parts total if you count in the biasing circuit. I haven't tried this though, so don't ask me about it's performance.

http://www.experimentalistsanonymous.co ... %20LFO.gif

PS: If I'm not mistaken, you could ditch the biasing circuit and use the Paia's -9V rail directly which would probably increase the depth/power of the LFO, but also decreases the parts count by 3 (unless you need to use some capacitors for conditioning)

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:49 pm