It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:32 pm

MIDI2CV8 DIP switch to rotary switch? 

Post MIDI2CV8 DIP switch to rotary switch?
I have a MIDI2CV8 (one of the most useful pieces of gear I own, ever since I built it around 10 years ago). I've been thinking of making a new front panel for it and mounting it in a different enclosure so it can be closer to the old analog synths it controls... while I am at it, I'd like to try changing the channel and mode DIP switches to rotary switches/binary encoders for easier access. I heard elsewhere that this was a relatively simple mod - has anyone already done this, and/or are there any specific parts anyone would recommend?

Thanks...

Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:03 pm

Post Re: MIDI2CV8 DIP switch to rotary switch?
Funny thing, I asked Scott about this last month. He pointed me in the right direction for a 16 and 8 position rotary encoder. I just haven't had the time to design a panel.

Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:52 pm

This page shows a source for one with sixteen settings with details for the connections -- just use three bits for eight mode settings.

Attachment:
9700rotaryChMode.pdf [53.29 KiB]
Downloaded 795 times

Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Scott, is there an advantage to using two 16 position rotary encoders as opposed to a 16 position for the MIDI channel select and an 8 position for the mode select?

Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Another followup question... given the way the switches are laid out, would you want to use what they call a "complement coded" switch, so the channels and modes from 1 to 16 (or 8) will behave as expected?

Something like: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/295/FR01-19863.pdf

Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:38 pm

I repackaged my MIDI2CV in a 2U MOTM-style module. I used push button hex and BCD switches for the midi channel and mode. I had to invert the signals to work with the switches so I also piggybacked an inverter IC. The page is fairly brief but outlines what I did with photos on my site at http://modularsynthesis.com/modules/DJB-017/djb017.htm. This was a while ago with an early digital camera so the photos aren't the best. I also discuss how to power this module from +/-15V.

Dave

Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:50 am