It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:25 pm

4700 front panels 

Post 4700 front panels
I need a panel for my mixer and balanced modulator, also an ADSR.

I can get the material but would love to have correct artwork for silk screening them.

anyone?

Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:50 pm

Post Re: 4700 front panels
Sorry, I don't have any info on the silkscreen... What material do you use for the faceplate? I was hoping I wouldn't have to go out and buy my own sheet metal and cut it myself...

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:35 am

I found 6" x 18" aluminum at Canadian Tire. should be available at home depot in the US. look for threaded rod (3' and 4' lengths) that's where the sheet and strip aluminum is.

they also have nice 1.5" and 2" by 3 feet strips that are thicker.

the sheet aluminum cuts easily with tin snips but may cut with a guillotine intended for cutting paper.

which panels do you need to make? perhaps we can share the task of making up the artwork

bill

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:18 pm

I think I have a 47xx mixer panel.

I will have to check.

I know I remember seeing an unbuild d/A module with panel.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:45 pm

I have multiple copies of all the front panels. I updated my 2700/4700 system with new designs. I was going to put them up on eBay next week so your timing is impeccable. Let me look over what I have and put some prices down.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:42 pm

Here's a technique to to replace worn silkscreening on vintage PAIA panels, or to add graphics to home made panels. It's not silkscreen, but it works as a substitute, is inexpensive, uses easily available equipment, allows customization, goofs can be redone, and you will have some do-it-yourself satisfaction. I've had good results with this technique. It is not as durable as a silkscreen, but can hold up surprisingly well.

First, recreate your panel graphic using a digital photo. Then, make your decal by printing the panel graphic on waterslide decal paper. Finally, transfer the decal to your metal panel.

MAKING PANEL GRAPHICS. The simple black and white text and graphics of vintage PAIA panels on a clear background are ideal for recreating. Easiest way to recreate an existing panel is to take a digital picture of your panel as scanning a panel is difficult due to the silver background. Include a ruler in the picture for size reference. When the picture is "exact sized" in your graphics program, recreate the text and graphics and place them over the digital picture. "Lato Black" font works well for text as it is similar to the font on 2720 panels. Then remove the layer containing the digital picture so only your recreated text and graphics are visible. If you are making a home made panel and don't have a vintage panel for reference, look on the Internet or Ebay for photos that can be adapted.

MAKING THE DECAL. Inkjet and laser printer waterslide clear decal papers are not interchangeable, so purchase the correct type of paper. Print your panel graphic to the waterslide decal paper (no need to reverse the image, as done in PCB toner transfer projects). Trim your decal paper, leaving about a half-inch border on all sides that will fold over the edges of the panel.

TRANSFER DECAL TO PANEL. Any required holes in your panel should be drilled and deburred first. Fill a tray with water (distilled preferably), place your panel underneath, and then place your decal in the water. After a short time soaking, slide your decal off and "catch" the decal with the panel. Carefully position the decal and use something like a soft brush to smooth out any bubbles. Fold over the borders to the back of the panel. Let dry. A light misting of lacquer or acrylic spray will help preserve your decal, but is optional. I find that lacquer spray by Testor (also called Dullcote) works well and actually improves the look. Excessive application of some coatings may cause crackling that does not resolve when dry.

For metal panels, search for "aluminum sample pack" on Amazon and look for 4 inch by 4 inch sample packets, which are ideal for making double wide panels, and require no additional cutting. The samples are of various thicknesses, but all will work as panels.

Happy panel making!

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:07 pm

toneman wrote:
I think I have a 47xx mixer panel.

turns out that I do not have the mixer panel.
I do have the mixer pcb mounted to a homemade aluminum panel.
I did find several self-etched QuASH clone boards.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:04 pm

I have 2 of the Mixer panels and 3 of the ADSR panels along with several others. Let me know if you are still interested. I believe I can be contacted off-line.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:31 pm

I tried waterslide paper - the results were horrible. I'm guessing the paper was 10 years old or more, and is seriously expired. I've ordered more on ebay and plan to pick up transparent labels from Staples.

I have howerver determined that my mixer and balanced mod are functioning.

bill

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:23 pm

I managed to put together my bal mod and mixer.
I used transparent mailing lables cause my waterslide paper is pooched.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29708075@N08/12420533233/

the panels are far from great but they look way better than my beat up Paia originals.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:09 pm