It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:11 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Synchronization Question 
Author Message

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:43 pm
Posts: 80
Post Re: Synchronization Question
Thanks, Scott! I'll give it a try as soon as I put it back together!!

I do want to clear one thing up. Does the 4780 start when the TR909 starts (or in my case my DAW connected to the 9700 MIDI IN through my MOTU MIDI OUT)? Or is the timing running and you manually hit the 4780 start button?

Brian


Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:55 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:43 pm
Posts: 80
Post Re: Synchronization Question
Heya Scott,

I didn't see an answer to my question above re: starting the 4780.

Of course - with time - I came up with another question: You are using the TR909 to start the 4780 and the trigger out to sync the sequencer. But what if you don't have a TR 909? I am using the 9700 and Blacet MIDIVerter as my 4780 interface. How do I deal with the clock signal?

I do have a Hex Zone that accepts MIDI clock and can either subdivide the clock and has gate out. I also have a couple of clock dividers from Doepfer and CGS.

My 2 4780s are kinda disassembled at the moment otherwise I would just play around and see what works. And since I don't see any recent activity on Jabber, I thought I might stir up some activity!


Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:09 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:49 pm
Posts: 726
Post Re: Synchronization Question
Hello Brian.

Quote:
Thanks, Scott! I'll give it a try as soon as I put it back together!!

I do want to clear one thing up. Does the 4780 start when the TR909 starts (or in my case my DAW connected to the 9700 MIDI IN through my MOTU MIDI OUT)? Or is the timing running and you manually hit the 4780 start button?

Brian


Quote:
I didn't see an answer to my question above re: starting the 4780.


Copying this from the last post on the previous page:

...nothing like having a devices set-up and operating for experimenting... I set up a TR909 as the MIDI Input to a 9700 MIDI2CV8 in the DIN Sync mode as a source for control signals to a 4780 Sequencer module.

OK, it's simple. As is recommended for external sync clock, set the 4780 Run/Stop to Stop and advance the internal clock's Rate control fully CW.

Rather than using the Run/Stop, use the Start or Reset pulse from MIDI2CV8 as the Run input on the 4780.

Since the 4780 Sync (external clock pulse) input is direct (as opposed to MIDI or DIN 24 pulse per quarter note), the '909 served as a source of quarter-note (or whatever interval) pulses for input to the 4780 synch connector.

Voila. The sequencer starts when the start button is pressed and it clocks with the external event pulse.

When necessary to start it all again, the 4780's Run/Stop switch must be manually actuated so the return to the Stop setting clears all the stages -- the next remote start/clocking will load and begin from the 4780's first stage.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

The "start" is automatic, in response to the MIDI Start message to the MIDI2CV8 and its Start or Reset pulse. The 4780's run/stop actuation is manual -- when you stop and want to start over again, set the switch to stop, then back to run before the next remote, automatic start.

_________________
Scott Lee
scott@paia.com


Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:45 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:43 pm
Posts: 80
Post Re: Synchronization Question
OK I think the start function makes sense.

I didn't see that this question was addressed:

Quote:
You are using the TR909 to start the 4780 and the trigger out to sync the sequencer. But what if you don't have a TR 909? I am using the 9700 and Blacet MIDIVerter as my 4780 interface. How do I deal with the clock signal?


I do have clock divider modules. Maybe that's the answer?

Brian


Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:05 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:49 pm
Posts: 726
Post Re: Synchronization Question
Quote:
I do have a Hex Zone that accepts MIDI clock and can either subdivide the clock and has gate out. I also have a couple of clock dividers from Doepfer and CGS.


Yes, one of these devices would be needed to get a quarter-note (or other) timed pulse to use as the "clock" for stepping though the sequencer stages.

_________________
Scott Lee
scott@paia.com


Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:49 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:43 pm
Posts: 80
Post Re: Synchronization Question
Thanks, Scott!

So when is PAiA coming out with a new Frac module of a clock divider/multiplier ala the 6770?


Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:16 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Theme designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin , adapted for PAIA by Illumimedia Design Studios
Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php