It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:11 pm

Synchronization Question 

Post Re: Synchronization Question
Thanks, Scott! I'll give it a try as soon as I put it back together!!

I do want to clear one thing up. Does the 4780 start when the TR909 starts (or in my case my DAW connected to the 9700 MIDI IN through my MOTU MIDI OUT)? Or is the timing running and you manually hit the 4780 start button?

Brian

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:55 am

Heya Scott,

I didn't see an answer to my question above re: starting the 4780.

Of course - with time - I came up with another question: You are using the TR909 to start the 4780 and the trigger out to sync the sequencer. But what if you don't have a TR 909? I am using the 9700 and Blacet MIDIVerter as my 4780 interface. How do I deal with the clock signal?

I do have a Hex Zone that accepts MIDI clock and can either subdivide the clock and has gate out. I also have a couple of clock dividers from Doepfer and CGS.

My 2 4780s are kinda disassembled at the moment otherwise I would just play around and see what works. And since I don't see any recent activity on Jabber, I thought I might stir up some activity!

Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:09 am

Hello Brian.

Quote:
Thanks, Scott! I'll give it a try as soon as I put it back together!!

I do want to clear one thing up. Does the 4780 start when the TR909 starts (or in my case my DAW connected to the 9700 MIDI IN through my MOTU MIDI OUT)? Or is the timing running and you manually hit the 4780 start button?

Brian

Quote:
I didn't see an answer to my question above re: starting the 4780.

Copying this from the last post on the previous page:

...nothing like having a devices set-up and operating for experimenting... I set up a TR909 as the MIDI Input to a 9700 MIDI2CV8 in the DIN Sync mode as a source for control signals to a 4780 Sequencer module.

OK, it's simple. As is recommended for external sync clock, set the 4780 Run/Stop to Stop and advance the internal clock's Rate control fully CW.

Rather than using the Run/Stop, use the Start or Reset pulse from MIDI2CV8 as the Run input on the 4780.

Since the 4780 Sync (external clock pulse) input is direct (as opposed to MIDI or DIN 24 pulse per quarter note), the '909 served as a source of quarter-note (or whatever interval) pulses for input to the 4780 synch connector.

Voila. The sequencer starts when the start button is pressed and it clocks with the external event pulse.

When necessary to start it all again, the 4780's Run/Stop switch must be manually actuated so the return to the Stop setting clears all the stages -- the next remote start/clocking will load and begin from the 4780's first stage.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

The "start" is automatic, in response to the MIDI Start message to the MIDI2CV8 and its Start or Reset pulse. The 4780's run/stop actuation is manual -- when you stop and want to start over again, set the switch to stop, then back to run before the next remote, automatic start.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:45 am

OK I think the start function makes sense.

I didn't see that this question was addressed:

Quote:
You are using the TR909 to start the 4780 and the trigger out to sync the sequencer. But what if you don't have a TR 909? I am using the 9700 and Blacet MIDIVerter as my 4780 interface. How do I deal with the clock signal?

I do have clock divider modules. Maybe that's the answer?

Brian

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:05 pm

Quote:
I do have a Hex Zone that accepts MIDI clock and can either subdivide the clock and has gate out. I also have a couple of clock dividers from Doepfer and CGS.

Yes, one of these devices would be needed to get a quarter-note (or other) timed pulse to use as the "clock" for stepping though the sequencer stages.

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks, Scott!

So when is PAiA coming out with a new Frac module of a clock divider/multiplier ala the 6770?

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:16 pm