It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:26 pm

5730 Gator Questions 

Post 5730 Gator Questions
Hey guys,

So I dug the ole' Gator out and put it back together. I must have built this thing in High School when I was first learning to solder, cuz the board is UGLY. I am a little suprised that it actually works. :o

I pinged Scott to see if he would post the manual for it up on PAiA talk, and he said it is on the TODO list, but may not happen soon. However, he did send the me the schem (Thanks Scott!).

I do need a gate, and the current economic situation doesn't allow me to go get a BOSS NS-1, so I am thinking that this will have to do.

My main complaint is that there is a very audible noise when the gate kicks in. It sounds like a faint kick drum.

I wired in a power jack and gave that a shot. It helped a bit. (I think my battery may have been weak) as I was able to reduce the 'pop' by backing off of the level, but it is still there.

Since I never intend on using the "ext. trigger" jack, I removed it, and will instead use the hole in the enclosure to mount the DC jack.

If I read the schematic correctly, once I remove the ext. input jack, I then need to wire lug 1 of the threshold directly to "H". Right? This is because the "Ext. Trigger" jack is a "closed circut jack" so it looks like they are connected when there isn't anything plugged in.

I am also noticing that even with the threshold down all the way, the gate still kicks in a bit early for my taste.

Mark Hammer has suggested:
Quote:
I encourage you to experiment with fixed resistors in series with the input and ground lugs of the Threshold control.

Do I need to do this in pairs? (One for input and one to ground)? It looks like the threshold is a 250k pot, what if I just increase that to a 500k? Will that basically to the same thing?

Also - to make it true bypass, I am going to remove S1 the "cancel" switch, and wire my stomp switch between the input "I" and the output "A". Does that look right?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

-Dan-

Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:12 am

Post Re: 5730 Gator Questions
Here is the latest on this:

The good news is that it works. However not quite as good as I would like.

The main issues I am having are:

Threshold isn't really useable. Basically all the way to "zero" still cuts the signal too agressively.
Noticeable "boom" when gate kicks in.
Sucks a TON of gain from my signal! (Although not much volume)- When engaged, it basically turns my dirty channel of the amp into an almost clean channel.

The very minor mods I have done are:

Remove "Ext. Trigger Jack".
Wire in a true byapss stomp switch.
Install a standard DC power jack.
Replace Threshold POT to a 25k (instead of 250k)

At this point, I am out of ideas. Could the "Gain suck" have to do with the Op amp buffer? All of the IC's are socketed, so I can replace them easily...

Any pointers/tips would be sweet!

Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:42 pm

Post Re: 5730 Gator Questions
Hello Dan.

I copied this message over to the Questions and Answers section with a reply, but I overlooked your question about eliminating the external trigger input: Yes, a direct connection from H to the Threshold control terminal 1 is correct, but you're giving up one of the great features of this kit. When a drum machine, sequencer, or arpeggiator clock, trigger or audio is patched in to this input, ringing or sustained chords are sync'ed to the external event.

You're best with the 'stock' control for the Threshold. The lower 25k would work to make the sensitivity even less.

Thanks. --Scott

Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:50 am