It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Theremax mod question 

Post Theremax mod question
The "I'm no fun" antenna-less theremax mod.

Can anyone suggest a mod to replace the theremax's antennas with two potentiometers ?

Actually I don't want to replace the antennas, just add a switched set of pots or slider pots. To use it either way.

-------

I can assemble but am totally lost when it comes to circuit design.
Please pardon if it's super simple, didn't want to fry anything. My Theremax is not here yet; a paycheck away and then I'm off to order one, can't wait.

Actually I'll mainly be playing it using the antennas.
But occasionally I'd like to try knob-dialing in tone and volume levels; plus have hands-free operation for continuous added effect banks adjusting.

Would appreciate any info or advice and thanks.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Post Re: Theremax mod question
The control panel Pitch Trim and Volume Trim (and Volume) controls will work to do what you need.

You might even like having a volume pedal patched between the audio output and the amplifier/speaker.

Something like a boom mic stand might do the trick as an adjustable Pitch control with it moving towards or away from the pitch antenna, or, just a long metal rod, terminated with a wire into one of the Theremax control panel sockets (ground/circuit-common via the sleeve contact terminal) affixed to a dial/knob for adjusting the proximity to the pitch antenna.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:27 am

Post Re: Theremax mod question
Thanks for the help, the pedal idea sounds very handy.
Sorry for delay, had some work catching up to do.

Sorry wasn't able to try the Volume(s) and Pitch trims yet - haven't gotten my Theremax yet, still about a paycheck away, looking forward to building it.

Will try those out when I get mine assembled, barring / allowing for mistakes delays. Thought I'd ask before it was assembled. Wasn't sure if the pitch would be precise enough, to dial in specific notes or tones, but I'll find out after it arrives and is assembled. Hoping it could double as a tone generator but again will use it mostly as a Theremin.

thanks

Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:23 pm