It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:35 pm

powering new 9700 modules with regulated 12v DC 

Post Re: powering new 9700 modules with regulated 12v DC
Yes, the junction or circuit node where the two batteries connect inline or in series with one another, the plus pole of one going to the minus pole of the other, is used as the ground/circuit-common.

If the black probe of a DVM set to measure DC Volts is touched here and the red probe touched to the plus pole of the series connection, the reading will be positive. Moving the red probe over to the minus pole of the series connection will result in a negative reading as indicated by a minus symbol preceding the digits.

When connecting 9700 series modules to these three nodes, positive DC voltage, 0Vdc, and negative DC, connect the two wires, G and SG from the 97xx module power connecting cables (and, V+ to positive and V- to negative).

With the supply voltages as 12v from the batteries, you'll need to bypass the on-board voltage regulators for each module.

On the 9710, 9720, or 9730 modules simply omit the installation of the voltage regulators and use a wire to jumper the input and output pads of the regulators. Looking at the face of the regulators, legs down, the positive regulator pins are Input, Ground, and Output: The negative regulator pins are Ground, Input, and Output.

On the newer 9700 series modules, use small insulated wire links to jumper from the power connection area nodes V+ and V- over to the corresponding TP as listed in the back pages of the manual for the module.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:18 pm

thanks for this help Scott, I'm very grateful.

one question "TP" ? what is this?

I'm a little new to synth building ;)

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:17 am
Profile WWW

Sorry, that's me taking a short cut....

There are TP labels on the newer 9700 series module boards associated with solder-pads/holes and these are Test Points, or, places to access/tap a particularly useful circuit(s).

The ones for +12v and -12v are the ones to jumper over to the DC power connection area V+ and V- solder pads to bypass the on-board 12v regulators. It will still be necessary to run all four wires V+ G SG and V- over to this DC power connection area at the edge of the board.

:)

Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:45 am

got it...thanks again..you're customer service at Paia rocks...now to buy some 9700 kits..:)

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:18 am
Profile WWW

PAiA-Scott wrote:
Sorry, that's me taking a short cut....

There are TP labels on the newer 9700 series module boards associated with solder-pads/holes and these are Test Points, or, places to access/tap a particularly useful circuit(s).

The ones for +12v and -12v are the ones to jumper over to the DC power connection area V+ and V- solder pads to bypass the on-board 12v regulators. It will still be necessary to run all four wires V+ G SG and V- over to this DC power connection area at the edge of the board.

:)

I assembled everything properly I believe..however, seeing as this is my very 1st ever kit build, I may have done something wrong. When I hooked up the batteries, I immediately got smoke out of the U2 part that was pre-installed on the board. I quickly disconnected power, but am afraid I toasted this board. I wonder if I should just forgo trying to power these modules off of 12V batteries, and just bite the bullet and order the power supply kit and power them using a DC to AC inverter off the batteries.

I'm pretty sure I assembled everything o.k., but I may have the TP jumpers done improperly. I posted pics of the whole assembly process of this module at my flikr site, so you can see how it was put together. I'm afraid to power it back up again..:) and will probably just order another one. I do have to say, I did get good practice with soldering and parts and stuff...so I do have that positive going.

You can view the photos of the board being assembled, along with the wire jumpers I put in to the power header. Would love to understand what I did wrong.

Look for the "Paia Noise Module" collection of photos

http://www.flikr.com/photos/james-johnson

thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this...

Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:46 pm
Profile WWW

This is not good. In reading through your post and viewing the images (very nice, thank you), I am just now learning there is an error in the 9751 Noise Source manual with the polarity listings for TPs 1 and 2: Tracing TP1 back to the regulator leads to the 7912 the negative regulator and TP2, the 7812 (the manual should list TP1 as -12 and TP2 as +12). I will mail you a new board to attach to your panel, and, install C9 for the lower cut-off.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks for looking at this Scott..again, super customer service...So the bypass wires I installed are o.k.being on the opposite side of the board like I have them? This would also explain why my batteries got a little warm when I hooked it up.. ;)

Do I need to de-solder the components I installed and re-use these on the new board? Not quite sure how to do this, but can probably figure it out.

Again, thanks so much for the reply and help..really making me a lifelong customer..

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:38 pm
Profile WWW

No, don't bother with taking the old 'kit' parts off. I'll put these on the board I'm sending you.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:41 am

James wrote:
I noticed in the schematics that these modules are powered by 12v DC. I'd like to confirm that I can power these with a regulated 12v DC supply. I am going to be running the paia modular system off solar panels battery bank running at 12v DC. I'll be using the Tip Top audio powered "Seuss" board for regulated 12v DC power to the 9700 modules. Would this be possible?

I'm sure I'm going to have to figure out how to make custom Doepfer/Analogue Ssystems to Paia power adapters as well.

Hello friend I know post is bit old but still thanks for sharing such useful information.. I would love to have similar setup and share my own experience.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:17 am