It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:16 am

Hifi tubehead advice 

Post Hifi tubehead advice
I've had a hifi tubehead for a couple of years, really love the thing. But I wanted to ask for feedback and impressions from other users.

Using BLEND set completely to tube, could you describe where you'd set DRIVE to range from clean tube to very tube sounding ?

Just want some quick run throughs, a rough idea of where you folks set yours to obtain various degrees of tube sound - then want to check how mine is working.

Mine seems to run cleaner or subtler than I'd expect. It does distort from up
about 9 o'clock on - could nudge it up cleaner with the trimpots, but it's okay for now - anyway the tubes definitely are dialing in.

It may be partly my stereo - gainclone or Tripaths with my speaker sets, it can get pretty analytical - but a lot could be my build skills (tubehead mistakes) too.

Would appreciate any quick walkthroughs and advice.
thanks

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Post Re: Hifi tubehead advice
http://paia.com/manuals/docs/9305_TH_sym.pdf

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks Scott. That helped, and I fine tuned my trimpots settings. Also helped give info for what I had wondered.

However with what I was wondering, wanted users' feedback on, I'm not sure if it is able to do. Or if it even works that way - part of what I wanted to check.

What I was looking for were like "sounds like the speakers are underwater", or "dry versus drenched" or "tube bloom to bloat", things like that, from mild to exaggerated.

Mine does seem to range, both tube and transistor. I've mastered it clean, all sorts of combinations. Clean, it can really open up and fine tune the sound of my amps. It's the tube sounds that I wanted to double check.

Mine (on tube) does seem to range from very clean to various roundings and softenings (also various tube characters). Up near/below edge of distorting, it seems to lean to a dark-hard tube effect. I guess I was expecting more of a bloating - slurring. It can but I may be expecting too much or the wrong things from it.

It was a "speakers under water" bloat that I'd wanted to coax out of it - drenched dripping slurring bloat to mess with from hardly to tons of. I can color it some but not smear or slur it enough - it colors then goes into the dark-hard tube effects when I expect it to blur more first, then do that, then distort.

Am I expecting the wrong sound types from it ? Things that it cannot do ?
Would appreciate any descriptions from clean to exaggerated from other tubehead owner users.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:59 pm

maybe to explain...
Trying to chase down a certain effect.
Everything else tubehead does I'm good with.

I had an old tube amp from a discarded console. Sounded like speakers tossed in a lake. Given time (very long time) it would clear, shape up to huge full drenched tube bloom sound. Sloppy but awesome; component deterioration probably.

Can't quite replicate that blur-bloat-slop effect. Mine distorts before it blur-bloats enough.
I was hoping user descriptions would help give more of an idea of what it could do, how it ranged.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:33 pm