Controlling/programming the 8780 D/A and 8781 QuASH without an 8700 CPU?

Free-for-all discussion about PAiA products and the kinds of audio you produce with them.
PaiaPNW
Hometown: Tacoma
Favorite topic: Retro stuff
Super Robot Smashing Puzzle Time!: 12

Controlling/programming the 8780 D/A and 8781 QuASH without an 8700 CPU?

Post by PaiaPNW »

ImageHello everybody from the Pacific Northwest! I have a 4700 system and am awaiting a D/A + QuASH to put the digital keyboard to use. I do understand that the QuASH can be programmed by an 8700 CPU, which unfortunately I don't have and attempted to acquire without success. Now, as the CPU is based on a scaled down variation of the 6502 processor, a 6503, I was wondering if anyone had any success programming the QuASH with alternative, 6502 based machines, such as the Commodore 64, Apple II, or any of these emulated in Windows or Linux? What software if any, exists for those machines for my purpose? I have a C64 and Vic20, so I'm hoping to be able to do something with that kind of setup.
PAiA-Scott

Re: Controlling/programming the 8780 D/A and 8781 QuASH without an 8700 CPU?

Post by PAiA-Scott »

The interface between the computer and the D/A and QuASH is simply connecting the Data Buss, a /Rdy pulse, and four address lines.
The programs for the 8700 Computer Controller access the three typical EPROM Firmware programs, PieBug, Mus-1, and PotShot in some instances when running the programs listed in the Friendly Stories booklet. These programs are machine code assembled into the RAM address range of the 8700. It will be quite a challenge to get this all working on a different computer/controller -- less so, if the intention is to write custom software to read the keyboard (or not) and send info to the D/A and QuASH. Much less footwork if you can track down an 8700 with the three red, white, and, blue marked EPROMs.
Scott Lee
scott@paia.com