It is currently Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:10 am

PAIA 4700 CV GATE; How do I hook it up? 

Post PAIA 4700 CV GATE; How do I hook it up?
I have a 3 rack PAIA 4700 Modular. So far, I really like the look of this synth and when hooked up, it makes some interesting sounds. The problems is that I can't really do much else but manipulate waveforms with the internal features. I don't have a sequencer, so my goal is to CV gate this to one of my synths (eg. Arp Axxe, Moog MG-1, etc.)
The dilemma deepens... It seem that in order to hook up the CV gate, I need to make or buy a Pin Jack to 1/8' or 1/4'. Also, where do I plug the jack in to get the CV gate working? I would think it would go into VCO??
This modular is confusing and there is no info that really explains the ins and outs of getting the 4700 working properly.
Anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:53 am

Post Re: PAIA 4700 CV GATE; How do I hook it up?
FatMan is a good candidate as PitchCV and GateTrigger for older PAiA 2720 and 4700 series modulars. MIDI input to FatMan is converted for control of the analog synthesizer section and these control signals are made available at RCA Phone socket connectors.

The cv and trigger connectors on the older PAiA modulars used 'pin' or 'tip' connectors. These are often used for small, inexpensive multitester probes so you might have two laying around, if not, solid 14ga wire can be used as a plug into a socket.

To go to or from a modular system with these single circuit connections, there first needs to be a patch made to establish a common ground between separate devices. For the patch from FatMan to the modular, this can be with the shield wire of one of the cables--just branch it off and plug it into a multiple panel ground on the 4700 or a rear mounted isolated black pin socket for ground (or wire a socket to the internal power supply ground at a convenient spot on the front for this purpose). The internal signal carrying wire of the RCA cables will have either the Pitch CV, the Gate-trigger, or the Velocity CV. Send the Pitch CV to the VCO cv input, the Gate-trigger to an Envelope (Function) Generator trigger input, and the Velocity to either a VCF cv input or VCA cv input.

The other equipment you describe has linear, v/oct pitch cv output (for exponential response VCOs). This would not produce the expected notes from the linear response VCOs of 2720 or 4700 series modulars which are expecting exponential control which doubles or halves going up or down by octaves. Also, the triggering is different on most Moogs. It is a switch-triggering which can be a contact closure between the connector terminals or one or many other connections with electronic transistors or logic gates which work to ground or zero the voltage on the 'signal' circuit of the trigger input. This sort of triggering is the opposite state of the 'active-high' Gate-triggering or Pulse-triggering for PAiA trigger inputs.

Check out the Using the 4700S manual in the Manuals and Documentation section.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:48 am