It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:59 pm

4700 Jacks 

Post 4700 Jacks
Hi Scott,

I'd like to replace most of the pin jacks on my 4700/2700 modules with 1/8" audio jacks (except for the'd have to be crazy or way to much time on your hands to undertake that project!). Is there anything I need to know about grounding? Or am I better off making cables with one side audio and the other a pin plug?

As I integrate my 4700 system into the rest of my analog synths (mostly 1/8", some 1/4"), I just don't have the space for different types of cables and would prefer using mostly 1/8" plugs.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Post Re: 4700 Jacks
Hello Brian.

The only trouble you might encounter is with the larger hole size for the pin (tip) jacks. With washers, the mini-phones should be OK but if there's only the knurled, spanner nut, they wouldn't grab.

Within the system, or between modules all connected on one supply (or multiple supplies with a link between their grounds), only a single conductor is needed to make connections between control, or audio, connections. If you go with mini-phone connectors for the control, it is only necessary to connect the tip-tip of the cables. The sleeve does not require a connection unless you go external and need to establish a common-ground.

Did you consider just making a panel to link mini and pin connectors (the 4761 multiple panel does this with three mini-phones, three pins, and three pins dedicated to ground)? Just link the tip of the mini phone(s) to the pin(s). The pins and mini-phones are separate on the 4761 but you could change this, or, sacrifice one set for use as an external link with a mini-phone plug to pin plug cable to join the two rows. Or, one mini-phone could be a substituted with a closed-circuit type and this connector links the two rows as long as there isn't a plug in it to open the link--the other two on this row would be linked with the three pin jacks below.

Scott Lee

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:52 pm

Post Re: 4700 Jacks
Hello Scott,

I already have 5 4761 multi panels, all wired differently! I even have a n 1/8" jack wired to 5 pin jacks so I can run 5 VCOs from one MIDI channel! I started to run out of patch panels (
Even pressing the two 4770 power supply jacks into action). When I needed to run a couple of VCOs with PWM and vibrato at different rates it got messy, to say the least. And running 5 - 8 MIDI channels, especially interfacing with 9700 and other gear gets a bit much.

I think the patch cords are the best way to go!

Brian Folkes

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:36 pm