It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:06 am

9700 mods, pot replacements 

Post 9700 mods, pot replacements
ok so i got a 9700 a while back and mostly i really like it. the raw sound etc, it's great. however it could definitely be improved, at least for my tastes.

for the 9720 dual vco, i wish the pitch knobs would go up higher, and maybe that vco A could go slower when in lfo mode

for the 9730 dual filter, the filter range is also pretty limited (probably more of an issue here, really), again only being able to get a fuller range with vc and not with the knobs. i also think the resonance gets out of control a bit too soon on the knob, so it'd be great if that could be scaled better.

for the 9710 vca, i really like the ADSR part (been using this as my main envelopes for my eurorack stuff even), but the scaling on every control seems wacky. especially decay and release. the faster values should (imo) cover more of the range of the knobs. instead, if you're trying to get a plucky decay, you have to try to barely touch the knob to do a fine adjust, and at a point it jumps from really fast to really long which is jarring (usually makes the difference between your sound being quiet, then it jumps to really loud because of the decay opening the envelope up so much). i'd love to be able to fine tune better, in the fast decay range. same with release, and i think attack and even the sustain level controls have this problem.

i'm wondering if anyone has replaced those pots, what values could give me better scaling and ranges, and if there are any good resources for mods on these things in general. and yes i've looked but i couldn't find much in the forums here on this, and a couple websites with info about it seem to have been taken down...

anyone?

Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:34 pm

Post Re: 9700 mods, pot replacements
Attachment:
PAiA Talk.pdf [31.45 KiB]
Downloaded 573 times

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:49 am

There was a comment from RoyG at the MUFFWIGGLER site about the 9730's range. Thought i'd post a link here for U.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... c820288e52

Btw, U have to be logged in to do a search at MUFFWIGGLER.

I tried to search the PAIA site for "range", but it comes up with "too common of word" and doesn't search anything. Keep that PAiA PHlying!!

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:40 pm

@PAiA-Scott - no actually i bought it already built. i was considering the build and saw a good deal on a built one and just got it instead. i have built a quadrafuzz kit in the past a few years ago.

but i'm not sure why i'd need to send it anywhere, i'm really just wondering if there were any good sources on info for modding these things. can't really say i'd want to spend the money on having someone look at it, and it seems to be in working condition.

do the issues i mentioned sound like signs of mistakes with the build?

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:16 pm

@toneman - thanks! i saw this before a while back but i couldn't find it again. i think i could manage to figure that mod out. am i the only one who thinks the ADSR controls could use a different scaling? i think that's probably my biggest issue out of all the things i mentioned, but i don't think i've ever seen anyone else mention it anywhere so maybe it's just me. the controls seem really finicky for fast values though.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:23 pm

Hello Tim.

Below is a link to a pdf with information, and ideas which you might find useful.

http://paia.com/manuals/docs/PAiATalk.1.pdf

Thank you.

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:11 pm