It is currently Tue May 24, 2016 10:37 am

PAiA Oz Reissue? Maybe? 

Post PAiA Oz Reissue? Maybe?
Nice website you have here Scott & Brad...
Any chance of a PAiA Oz reissue?
If so, I want the 1st one... :D

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:43 am
Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: PAiA Oz Reissue? Maybe?
Yes, the Oz was a cool one...

Thanks, and welcome!

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:01 pm

PAiA-Scott wrote:
Yes, the Oz was a cool one...

Thanks, and welcome!

'Yes' as in, you guys are gonna reissue the Oz???

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW

We had been getting the keyboard assemblies from a company in CT but they aren't offered anymore. The Top-Octave-Generator IC used in the Oz became difficult to find, if at all obtainable. It would mean substituting these two main parts for this kit if we were to produce them again. If we can get around this, it's a possibility.

Have you seen the small keyboards offered in products with MIDI or USB outputs which be used to make an organ sound, and much more working as a controller for a MIDI Instrument/computer/sound generator?

Keep an eye out in the classifieds and such.... Every once in a while an Oz will turn up there.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:21 pm

YARRR! The OZ will never die as long as it is remembered by those of us who are still looking for a source of replacement bushings for their P&R keyboards!
Seriously, the OZ was a /classic/ build. I think it would be easy enough to engineer a replacement for the top-octave generator IC (well, the circuit would have to be redesigned from scratch, but...). To me, the impossible part of the project would be the keyboard. PAiA would be selling keyboards to this day if there were still keyboard manufacturers in the USA, or if we had enough volume in keyboards to work with a /good/ import source.
As a point of comparison, PAiA can buy a complete 2 octave MIDI keyboard with velocity sensing, in a box with power supply and "giveaway" PC synthesis software for less today than we paid for just the OZ keyboard assembly (adjusted for inflation).
If I were going to try and recreate the OZ experience, it would be cool to have a MIDI-controlled multi-channel voice box - not so fancy, but maybe VCO+ADSR+VCF on each voice (controlled by the MIDI signals from each note), with additional MIDI CV output channels to drive other modules in the rack. If wishes were dishes, of course, but... what do you think?

Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:27 am
Profile WWW

what do you mean by a multi-channel voicebox? you mean something to run into a modular synth? or...?

i think a normalized polyphonic analog rack/desktop would be cool, 4 voices perhaps; simple architecture liek you described with the vco+adsr+vcf. 4 channel cv out. dont think it would be too hard? use the vcos that are in the fatman ... actually the whole voice architecture could be a scaled down fatman i suppose? could be cool..

Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:21 pm

Patching-in parts of a FatMan voice is something like using the normalization on the original 9700-series (9710/20/30) modules. In both cases, you end up with an idiomatic, characteristic sound. I got us way off topic - the Oz wasn't a "voice" but a neat, small thing. I do like the patchable voice thing, though. Especially if you can make all the oscillators track...

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:10 pm
Profile WWW

After I saw there was a lot of interest in the Oz I decided to list mine on eBay. It has probably been 20 years since I turned it on but it still played when I put some batteries in. I have the manual/drawing/schematic, too.

I'm also selling an extra set of the docs and a 1976 PAIA catalog.

Looking at the catalog brought back some memories. I wish I could still buy a new Gnome at the 1976 price!

My Oz is at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0359383707

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Mine!

I will scan the docs and catalog for everybody's enjoyment.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:47 pm

Hello! Don't know if it help, but here what's on my mind:
in Eastern Europe we have many chips in stock. Particularly К1012ГП1, К1012ГП2, К1012ГП3 . These chips provide octave division. I'm 100% К1012ГП3 is the chip for 12 notes of equally tempered scale. Though there's no datasheet on the internet. I could've send to paia a batch of these chips for prototyping.

About instrument:
I'm a keyboardist, right now i'm using MIDI setup - midi keyboards into laptop. Based on my little experience, i think instrument absolutely MUST have at least A(D)R envelope (with knob controls, switches not give enough freedom), It's an absolute necessity. Also, there might be filter right after the note (simple RC), to make square a little sine-like (but not fully sinusoidal, thats what makes electronic organs so exciting!), which is switchable, to provide different tones. Combined with filter and amplifier (and out feed-backing the filter) there's more that enough room for creativity. Octave switching might be a nice addition, but i understand that key-filters must be re-tuned too. All in all it eliminates the need for polyphonic instrument for me. What about CV in jacks? There might be additional block housing filter, amplifier, distortion circuit with switchable clipping scheme (LED, Ge, Si), or even double that, Ringmod, Spring reverb, Delay, LFO, A(D)R, connecting through pin matrix for fast preset dialing . How about doubling generator scheme, to have 2-generator-detunable polyphonic instrument? Anyway, that is my dream-board :D just some thoughts

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:51 am