MIDI2CV8 DIP switch to rotary switch?

Free-for-all discussion about PAiA products and the kinds of audio you produce with them.
blandoon
Hometown: Eugene, OR
Favorite topic: Doing stupid things with modular synths
Super Robot Smashing Puzzle Time!: 12

MIDI2CV8 DIP switch to rotary switch?

Post by blandoon »

I have a MIDI2CV8 (one of the most useful pieces of gear I own, ever since I built it around 10 years ago). I've been thinking of making a new front panel for it and mounting it in a different enclosure so it can be closer to the old analog synths it controls... while I am at it, I'd like to try changing the channel and mode DIP switches to rotary switches/binary encoders for easier access. I heard elsewhere that this was a relatively simple mod - has anyone already done this, and/or are there any specific parts anyone would recommend?

Thanks...
Kyhotay
Hometown: Sin Fernando Valley
Favorite topic: Quixotism

Re: MIDI2CV8 DIP switch to rotary switch?

Post by Kyhotay »

Funny thing, I asked Scott about this last month. He pointed me in the right direction for a 16 and 8 position rotary encoder. I just haven't had the time to design a panel.
PAiA-Scott

Post by PAiA-Scott »

This page shows a source for one with sixteen settings with details for the connections -- just use three bits for eight mode settings.
9700rotaryChMode.pdf
(53.29 KiB) Downloaded 1497 times
Scott Lee
scott@paia.com
Kyhotay
Hometown: Sin Fernando Valley
Favorite topic: Quixotism

Post by Kyhotay »

Scott, is there an advantage to using two 16 position rotary encoders as opposed to a 16 position for the MIDI channel select and an 8 position for the mode select?
blandoon
Hometown: Eugene, OR
Favorite topic: Doing stupid things with modular synths

Post by blandoon »

Another followup question... given the way the switches are laid out, would you want to use what they call a "complement coded" switch, so the channels and modes from 1 to 16 (or 8) will behave as expected?

Something like: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/295/FR01-19863.pdf
davebr
Hometown: Sherwood
Favorite topic: Vintage restoration

Post by davebr »

I repackaged my MIDI2CV in a 2U MOTM-style module. I used push button hex and BCD switches for the midi channel and mode. I had to invert the signals to work with the switches so I also piggybacked an inverter IC. The page is fairly brief but outlines what I did with photos on my site at http://modularsynthesis.com/modules/DJB-017/djb017.htm. This was a while ago with an early digital camera so the photos aren't the best. I also discuss how to power this module from +/-15V.

Dave