It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:51 pm

PAIA Phlanger - Troubleshooting Tips 

Post PAIA Phlanger - Troubleshooting Tips
Good Afternoon, All,
I am working on getting my quite old Phlanger back into proper working order, having inherited it recently from a friend who had it for many years. The power status LED illuminates upon the power switch; however, no sound in the output.
Has anyone else repaired a Phlanger, or perhaps might suggest the order/hierarchy of testing? Due to the apparent age, I had at first thought that the capacitors might need replacement, but, not wanting to go about it blindly, I wanted to see if there are certain components in the older (silver face) model which might warrant a closer inspection first?

Thanks for any help or input,
Clyde

Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:41 pm

Post Re: PAIA Phlanger - Troubleshooting Tips
Hi Clyde and all PAiApHans!

Have U read this documentation?
here's this link:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=490

The Phlanger has it's own internal power supply.
Have you checked for the critical voltages at the points the manual recommends?

Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:36 pm

toneman wrote:
Hi Clyde and all PAiApHans!

Have U read this documentation?
here's this link:
http://www.paia.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=490

The Phlanger has it's own internal power supply.
Have you checked for the critical voltages at the points the manual recommends?

Thanks for your message - sorry it took me so long to get back!
I've got the manual you provided, but I can't find the critical voltages marked on the schematic. By comparison, I've been working on a Fender M80 bass amp lately, and its schematic has various test points listed, along with the voltages at those points. I'm not seeing that on this schematic.
Can you help me locate those voltage listings?

Many thanks.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:10 pm

Check to be sure the transistors match the examples in this topic:

http://paia.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=200

The Bias Trim setting is critical. There is only a small amount of its rotation that the DC Bias of the audio signal into the SAD-1024 IC is the needed 2/3V+ as is needed for the audio to pass.

The 4013 IC provides 0-9V voltage switching (just post audio range) for the clocking signal through the '1024. A DC voltage test here should show a mid reading, but not a fixed 0 or 9 volts.

Input pins of the 3900 should have DCV readings of about 0.5V.

The circuit-section including transistors Q1-4 is the sweep part where the speed and depth of the flanging originates. IC4, a VCO, translates the cyclic DC variations to the post audio pulsing that the 4013 conditions for complementary phased clocking for the '1024.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:05 pm

Many thanks for your help, Scott. :)

When testing the unit when it's 'on,' is it wise to also wear a wrist ground strap? My understanding is that the ground clip on a VM or scope is attached to the chassis, so could wearing a grounding strap be advantageous?

Thanks

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:26 am

I would not be so concerned with the wrist strap to ground when making tests on the phlanger. The real concern is the live wall power wiring and board connections. Once the unit is open and not plugged into the wall outlet, do what is needed to position the board and prevent contact between the metal case and any tools or other metal on your bench.

A grounding wrist strap would be most useful in the handling of static-discharge-sensitive pars and the contact with their pins/leads when moving from their protective tubes or foam and installing them on the pcb, etc. On the board, the pins/leads aren't "floating" but likely terminated or in contact with some circuit node.

There will be a wire from the board ground to the panel connector ground lugs and this is where the tester should connect for the measurement reference. If you elect to wear the strap, just connect it to this same point too.

Remember though, chances are it might be OK and not need any testing, but just a run through the testing and calibration procedure per the kit assembly instruction manual. If it is known to be non-working, it might be that any trouble can be seen and corrected before any testing. Look for detached wires, compare the transistor orientation, viewtopic.php?f=29&t=200
and for other parts that must go onto the board according to polarity markings, and, inspect the kit-builder's soldering.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:12 am

Thank you. I appreciate your very helpful insight into this.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:06 am

Good Afternoon!
I was wondering if there might be a schematic available for the Phlanger kit? My manual doesn't have one, and I was needing the pin info for the chips, etc.

Thanks very much.

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:59 pm

try here: (in the "docs" section)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=490

8-)

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:48 pm

Thanks toneman! Much appreciated.. My manual had everything but this, and now it's complete. :)

Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:33 am